Skip to main content

Ready-Made Confidence

sermon preparation
sermon preparation (Photo credit: AngloBaptist)
As my every other week blogging continues (this time because I'm heading to Mexico on Tuesday), I find myself reflecting on the service and message I led last night.  I preached on Romans 8 through the lens of the Heidelberg Catechism Lord's Day 1, taking a look at what it means to belong.  Early last week I got back from Indiana for the holidays and was celebrating Christmas/New Year's with family in Holland, and I felt at ease with the preparation I had to do.  All of a sudden it's Friday though, and I'm doing an overhaul of the message because I realized I had forced my hand and not let God work.  The weekend begins, my head is thinking through all the things that need to get done before I leave on this upcoming trip, and when I stand up at 6:00 on Sunday night I feel like I'm boring the congregation and that I must be reading some one else's manuscript because the few times I look up (though I've practiced and thought I knew most of what's on the pages), all I can see is blank stares.

As a pastor-in-training, there's things you learn about yourself.  I know that my usual confidence borderlines on being egotistical.  I know I struggle more with eye contact when there is more open space.  I know I need routine.  I recognize that not every sermon I preach will or should raise a "10" from everyone in the congregation.  I also know, however, that when I go back and listen to myself on Monday morning, the anxiety I felt the day before when I thought I must not be making sense or am sounding like an idiot drifts away.  As much as I learn about myself, I learn even more with every time I preach that God truly is the one who speaks at the pulpit.

Why am I letting my anxieties fly?  I'm guessing that most church leaders have this same issue.  You prepped all week, you felt some type of confidence with what you stood up to preach, but after the service, no matter how many times you hear "Good sermon, pastor!" as you greet the people walking out, there's anxiety over failure.  Maybe they are just encouraging you, but I'm guessing that more often than not, those words that came out of you actually did connect them to God, and that thing called "sermon presentation" which is eating you up came out exactly the way God intended.  Be encouraged, pastors and teachers!

For those of you that are church goers though, your pastor knows what you're going through.  Just because we've spent all week reading a particular passage, praying, writing, and studying throughout the Bible does not mean we're perfect!  We struggle in the day to day with living as God calls us to, with preforming our work to the best of our abilities, with the same anxiety about our success that you have in your career.  To belong as Christians means we are saved and are assured of eternal life, but it also means we are made by the Spirit willing and ready to live for God, to live sharing in the inheritance of his suffering and his glory as his sons and daughters.  Life is full of that suffering, whether it be religious persecution, disease and sickness, or hurt emotions, but it also is full of sharing in the glory of God.  All of our work, no matter your profession, is done for God's purposes.  That promise that we are made ready enables us to be confident that no matter how bad our job performance may feel to us, if we have truly done our work as a thank offering to God, then our efforts have been blessed by him.  Brothers and sisters in Christ, be encouraged in your work, homes, and families!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf