Skip to main content

Be Prepared

(Originally written for Douglas County Publishing: Pastor's Meditation February 5, 2019)

Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.  As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.  But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy” (1 Peter 1:13-16).
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander (1 Peter 3:15-16).

When I moved to Corsica a little over 4 years ago, I had never ice fished in my life.  I had heard about it.  I had occasionally seen someone sitting on a bucket or in a shack on a small pond.  I wanted to do it, but I knew absolutely nothing about ice-specific tackle, bait, poles, electronics, or even how to make a hole in the ice.  That was all about to change thanks to another Pastor Dan.

Since that first winter, I’ve learned how addicting this short season activity can be.  Each year my pile of equipment has grown, from just a couple poles, tip-ups, and jigs to include extra gear, a flasher (fish-finder), a flip-over shack, a small heater, an auger, and safety gear.  Starting last October, I’ve looked forward to going out this season. I haven’t gone as much as I’d like due to the weather, traveling, sickness, and work, but I’ve certainly enjoyed the opportunities that I have had to be out on the ice.  As most ice fishermen and women will tell you, the community of being with or around others is one of the best parts.

As much as I love it, ice fishing is one of the most preparation heavy leisure activities I can think of.  Making sure all your gear is in good working order and packed up; being sure to have enough warm clothing; charging batteries and making sure you have gas, if needed; having food, water, and other supplies—there’s a lot of work just to get on the ice and hopefully catch a few fish!  I’ve printed and hung a list in my garage that fills nearly a page with 2 columns of all my gear to check before I go out depending on whether I’m using my shack, sitting on a bucket, if I plan to make food, or fillet the fish I catch.

All of us go through various preparations in life.  The farmer prepares equipment and supplies ahead of calving, planting, and harvest seasons.  The nurse or the tech prepares the examination or surgical room as well as the patient for an upcoming lab, procedure, or surgery.  Most of us prepare or have someone else prepare our taxes to stay on top of those.  Maybe we prepare a lunch to take to school or a cooler and picnic basket to take on a trip.  All of this takes time, a knowledge of what is needed and should happen, and a willingness to adapt depending on how things go.

Scripture also talks about preparation quite a bit: the preparations that Noah made with the ark, his family, and the animals before the flood; the preparations of the Israelite community as they came to the Promised Land, for priests, and for the places where they worshiped God; the preparation that John the Baptist offered as a fore-runner to Jesus.  There are also preparations that Christians are still called to make in our own lives.

Prepare your minds for action…Always be prepared to give an answer…to give the reason for the hope that you have.  These passages in 1 Peter certainly call for our actions, the things we do, to be holy.  Our lives are to be in obedience to God rather than following sinful desires, ignorant to God’s perfect will.  But we’re also called, as we’re able, to have our minds and the understanding of our faith prepared. 

I said before that our preparation in various parts of life requires time, knowledge of how things are, and a willingness to adapt.  Peter uses 2 different words for being prepared.  In chapter 1, it means “to gird up” or we might say “to roll up our sleeves.”  In chapter 3, it has the sense of being “ready.”  In both cases, there’s an understanding that the life of faith, the life striving towards holiness and faithful testimony to God in thought, word, and deed takes some commitment. 

If we’re willing to be prepared in other parts of our lives, to be ready so we don’t fail, come up short, or forget things, shouldn’t we be even more prepared when it comes to faith and the mission of God?  The Bible speaks often about being in, meditating on, and telling to others the Word of God.  That means we must know what it says—whether by memory or having access to it, and we must be spending time in it.  We must be reading and studying devotionally, not just to know accounts and commands, but that God can testify to us about his will, salvation, and plan. 

Being prepared also requires us to spend time in prayer.  In prayer, we can bring our requests, concerns, and needs before God, but it’s also a way for us to praise him and to seek his grace in repentance.  We are talking to God, knowing he hears us and knowing he answers.  Our preparation for life, for being ready against the attacks of the devil, for being ready to do good when our sinful and selfish desires come up, for being to share the good news, requires that we have been spending time with God, talking to him as well as listening for his direction. 

Again, my list of things I need for ice fishing is pretty long.  But the list to be spiritually prepared is pretty short—be in God’s Word and be in prayer with God.  Yet, considering the importance of faith, salvation, and the work of God in and through our lives, these 2 things deserve more focus than anything else.  As William Longstaff’s hymn says: “Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord; abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.  Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak, forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.  Take time to be holy, the world rushes on; spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.  By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be; Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see” (Take Time to Be Holy). 

Be prepared, not just in spiritual-sounding ideas, but be prepared by God, his Word, and the testimony of his Spirit.  Be prepared, not just for church worship services and Bible studies, but for the holiness that God desires in all of our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf