Skip to main content

Giving Thanks TO God


The First Thanksgiving 1621 By Jean Leon Gerome Ferris
(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column November 29, 2019)

I'm not quite sure where this year has gone. For hunters, deer season is here. I'm personally waiting for the ice to be thick enough to do some fishing. Christmas decorations have started to go up around the area. Perhaps some of you have been mapping out the best Black Friday shopping sales. It doesn't feel like my daughter (a preschooler) and my wife (a teacher) started school all that long ago, but now I hear them talking about the Pilgrims and Native Americans. Their classes have each had projects (similar to what I remember doing growing up) that help remember and display certain parts of life around the "First Thanksgiving."

Much has been written in recent years about difficulties, conflicts, and tragedies that came with the colonists’ entry into what we now call the United States of America. Through the spread of sickness and violence, life and relationships between the different groups was far from perfect. Yet in 1621 the English colonists and the Wampanoag people met together at the Plymouth Plantation to give thanks for the harvest. Their Thanksgiving Day involved feasting on food that they had raised, harvested, caught, or shot and they spent time together. At least for the Pilgrims, thanks wasn’t just an attitude of happiness towards good fortune or luck, but they were thankful to God Almighty for his faithful provisions.

Psalm 67 offers this prayer: May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among the nations. May the peoples praise you, O God; may all the peoples praise you…Then the land will yield its harvest, and God, our God, will bless us. God will bless us, and all the ends of the earth will fear him.

In the week ahead, hopefully all of us have time and opportunity to gather with family or friends to enjoy good food and each other’s company and laughter. Maybe we’ll spend Thursday afternoon watching football, paging through newspaper ads, napping, or swapping stories. Hopefully we’re able to enjoy a time of rest amid life’s busyness, though I’m sure some farmers may still be bringing in the harvest.

But let us not forget that Thanksgiving is a day to practice what should be practiced daily—thanksgiving to God. We give him thanks because he has blessed us immensely and in ways we don’t deserve. He has provided our food, he has provided our shelter, he has provided our redemption by sending his Son Jesus. By intentionally acknowledging his blessing, our hope joins the psalmist that God’s ways would be known on earth and his salvation believed among the nations.



Happy Thanksgiving and thank you farmers and all involved in the ag industry—from agronomists and seed vendors to mechanics and co-op workers—for all your hard work! 
(I'd put a picture of a tractor here but someone would get offended for it not being the right color or make, so here's a turkey.)

Photo by Suzy Brooks on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf