Skip to main content

"I Miss Your Face"

 

(Photo cred: Rebecca Martin)

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column August 26, 2020)

First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world. For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God's will I may now at last succeed in coming to you. For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you—that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. (Romans 1:8-12)

One of the downsides of having lived in a number of different places where I’ve met and developed friendships is the difficulty of maintaining those relationships. I have my friends from high school in northwest Indiana, friends from college and summers in youth ministry who now live from coast to coast and Canada, and friends from other churches and towns I’ve served in. I can’t possibly be involved in the lives of others as much as I’d like.

One of my friends, a co-worker from Kentucky, used to say, “I miss your face.” Even with Facebook and now Instagram, Twitter, and Snapchat, those social media platforms are not a substitute for face-to-face interaction. They can give me an idea of some of the highlights of peoples’ lives, but not everyone has those and there’s much we don’t post that is still important to who we are and what we’re going through. I’m horrible at keeping up relationships by phone; I’d rather see someone in-person. There are people who I miss.

In the age of a global pandemic, I’m guessing the vast majority of us can probably think of someone we miss. As a pastor, I miss those who haven’t returned to weekly in-person worship and who are shut in. I get it! If you’re a Baldwin CRC member, I’m not mad at you. I understand the caution, but know you’re missed by me. If you’re a member of another area church, I’m 99.9% sure I can speak for your pastor and tell you they miss you, too. Even when you can visit someone over Skype, Zoom, Facetime, and other video services, it’s just not the same as in person.

Part of this goes back to what the apostle Paul captured in his longing to see the believers in Rome. “…I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you—that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith…” It does all of us good to be together—not only relationally, but for the encouragement of our faith in Christ as well. For now, we pray for each other, for those we miss, and we pray that we may see each other again soon that we may all be strengthened in our faith.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf