Skip to main content

Historical Faith

 (Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column October 21, 2020)

A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever …What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there a thing of which it is said, “See, this is new”? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after. (Ecclesiastes 1:4, 9-11)

A thought that frequently came to mind when I was a teenager was, “They just don’t understand.” Usually it was about my parents, who I saw as being unnecessarily strict and out of touch. They just didn’t get how things were for a young man in the 2000s. It had been 25 years since they were my age. They couldn’t possibly know what life was like. Looking back, my teenage self had some growing up to do and, now that I have my own children, I understand a bit more where they were coming from.

The author of Ecclesiastes talks about how time continues to race by, people grow old, new generations are born, but what’s happening today likely has happened before. He’s not referring to computers and smartphones—that there was an earlier time when those existed. we just haven’t found out about yet. No, he’s talking about human nature, what people value, what they work for, what they struggle with and what they enjoy. “…There is nothing new under the sun…”

As we near what’s known as Reformation Day, which is the same day Halloween is celebrated, Christians do well to remember the truth founded in Scripture that there’s nothing new about the gospel. The Protestant Reformation brought about major change in Europe throughout the 16th century that spread and impacted what we know of Christian denominations, traditions, congregations, and theology today. Yet that movement wasn’t about changing God’s word, it was about returning to it.

…All flesh is grass, and all its beauty is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the LORD blows on it; surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever. (Isaiah 40:6-8) Peter roughly quotes those words in 1 Peter 1:24, explaining those who are born again, have been so by the “imperishable seed” that is the living and abiding word of God. In our day, all who claim to be Christians, wherever they may be on earth, need to hold onto that. There’s nothing that needs to be revised about God’s word. There’s nothing that needs to be added. The source of the good news of salvation in Jesus Christ and the truth of God that calls for repentance and faith is the same today as it was in 1517 as it was for the early church.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf