Skip to main content

Justice?

 (Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column April 28, 2021)

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream. (Amos 5:24)

Christians are to be people of justice, kindness, humility, and righteousness. We don’t always live up to those virtues. There have been times throughout history when people claiming Christ have been unjust, unkind, unhumble, and unrighteous. When we sin against other people, we’ve likely left at least one of these requirements behind.

When we look specifically at “justice,” the Hebrew word in both these verses is dealing with fairness and integrity, governing or executing what is right, and justice is that which fits with God’s standards. Part of why the Old Testament Israelites were punished by God was for oppressing the poor and marginalized; they did that by favoring the rich or what would benefit them.

The verdict in the case of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin is over a week old now, but I’m writing this the day after it came out—when the jury found him guilty on all three charges related to the murder and manslaughter of George Floyd. I watched online the proceedings from the opening arguments through the closing arguments and rebuttal. I tried to have the mindset expected of the jurors—viewing the evidence, listening to arguments, recognizing how I was persuaded either way at different times. When the verdict had been reached by midday Tuesday, based on the speed, I assumed they had come to the answers that were announced.

I watched some of the celebrations at “George Floyd Square” and downtown Minneapolis. I’ve read the quote that this is “not justice, but accountability.” I’ve seen social media posts from Christian friends, family members, and others celebrating the verdict, feeling that for once the justice system worked, and alluding to verses like Amos 5:24. I understand how those who believe law enforcement officers are absolutely against them or certain parts of the population can feel joy, as well as how George Floyd’s loved ones feel grateful.

I’m torn, though. I recognize that’s likely not popular, but I doubt I’m alone. I’ll be honest about my background: I have extended family members and friends working in various law enforcement agencies, my college major was criminal justice. And, yes, I have a thin blue line flag. I also know police officers are humans. They can make mistakes and commit errors with or without intended consequences. They may appropriately or inappropriately bring biases or prejudices based on prior experiences into their work. They are accountable to the law. Looking at Chauvin’s case, the vast majority of people agree he shouldn’t have put his knee where he did for so long. He should have given medical intervention, in accordance with his training. When I process the jury instructions, I think I would have differed on some of the charges.

As a Christian, I need to check myself. Am I torn, is my mind twisted, am I unable to put feelings into words, because I differ about the serving of justice or because I feel like my answers to the jury instructions are right and therefore the verdict is wrong? This wasn’t one person’s view of things, it was a whole jury that decided this together. People can debate, as the defense did at various times, if the threat of civil unrest affects the jurors’ decisions, or other factors. As I said before regarding Floyd’s loved ones, if any person played a role in taking the life of one of our loved one’s, we’d more than likely want them held accountable and punished, too. My wrestling, though, also wonders about the role of police, the perceived threats to their lives, that they are responding to reports of the law being broken. I’m not arguing police can do whatever they want or that Chauvin was righteous, just, and innocent in all he did. But the role of law enforcement officers is not simple.

Whatever we feel about the outcome of this trial, let us as Christians keep wrestling for justice. Let’s hope police do their duties justly and with integrity. Let’s desire people to honor authority, even when they feel wronged. Let’s pray that victims would be treated compassionately and protected. Let’s keep growing in understanding and seeking God’s justice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf