Skip to main content

I Will Never Forget, 20th Anniversary Update


(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column September 8, 2021)

The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, doing abominable iniquity; there is none who does good. God looks down from heaven on the children of man to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God. They have all fallen away; together they have become corrupt; there is none who does good, not even one. (Psalm 53:1-3).

A couple years ago I wrote about remembering 9/11/2001 on my personal blog, so if your read that and some of this sounds familiar, that’s why. 20 years ago, I was 12 years old, a 6th grader in South Holland, Illinois, and on my way to school when I heard the first news on the radio of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center. I didn’t know anything about that building other than that it was a skyscraper in New York City. Knowing what skyscrapers in Chicago looked like, I tried to picture that in my mind—it seemed crazy.

2001 was a time before social media and kids that age definitely didn’t have cell phones, and so the day went on like normal for me. Eventually our teachers shared with us what was being reported. This wasn’t a single plane accident resulting from a mechanical failure; it was intentional. There wasn’t just one plane that crashed, but four. These weren’t small planes, but rather commercial airliners filled with passengers. They had been hijacked by terrorists who were part of an organization called al-Qaeda.

I turned on the TV when I got home from school and watched the continuous coverage of the tragic events in New York City, Washington D.C., and rural Pennsylvania. I started hearing about Osama bin Laden and Afghanistan. I saw pictures and videos of the fiery crashes, the buildings falling, people jumping to escape and running down the street fleeing the cloud of dust and debris. I remember President George W. Bush speaking to the nation that night about our resolve, and appreciating his efforts and leading in the weeks and months to come. The rest of that week, I followed the rescue efforts and the numbers of the injured and casualties. With a firefighter/paramedic for a dad, the efforts of those at Ground Zero seemed that much realer to me.

The events of that day changed so much: security protocols, the beginning of a lengthy war, a heightened awareness of terrorism and Islamic extremism. So many lives were lost—from the people traveling for business or pleasure, working or going about their daily lives, first responders, those who fought in Afghanistan, innocent civilian lives collected in the hostilities, and as a result of sicknesses related to the debris which continue today. It’s a day and it has been era that will not be forgotten by those living in it.

Why did it happen, though? Events like this cause some to ask, “Why or how could a God who Christians believe to be good, loving, and all-powerful allow for that? To this day, the only “easy” answer is sin. We can think about the reasons that al-Qaeda and like-minded terror groups give for their attacks—they make statements about America and Christianity. Yet sin is not restricted to any national, cultural, or religious group. Going back to Psalm 53, …There is none who does good, not even one. That’s not just terrorists; the nature of every human being pursues evil. We pursue purposes, actions, worship, and dependence on things apart from the one true God. Obviously, we don’t all pursue that the same, not everyone is out to commit heinous acts against other people. Nevertheless, sin is in all of us. The root and cause of all evil is not God; he’s not to blame.

9/11/2001 showed us sin. We—all human beings—must ask, then, where do we look for recovery and salvation from that sin? How can we be changed that our purposes, actions, worship, and dependence are not against God? Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright (Psalm 20:7-8). Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish. Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God… (Psalm 146:3-5).

Our hope, our forgiveness, our redemption—who or what we put our trust in can’t be military strength or weaponry. It can’t be in a nation or its leader or who we want to be its leader. No, the only hope against sin is Jesus and his love shown through the only perfectly obedient life ever lived, his willingness to suffer an undeserved death on behalf of others, and his resurrection from the grave. He is the only one who can save us from the fate we deserve—a fate far worse and longer lasting than the devastation of any terrorist attack. He knows the sin and sins of every single one of us, and yet for those who believe in him, he gives eternal life.

I will never forget what happened at those towers, at the Pentagon, and at that field. I will never forget how so much changed on that day 20 years ago and the real pain of those who have lost loved ones because of it. I will never forget the hope and meaning that Jesus alone can give to all who trust in him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf