Skip to main content

What Do You Do on Sunday?

 


(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column September 28, 2022)

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.” (Exodus 20:8-11)

A non-pastor friend and I were talking last week about the Bible’s concept of Sabbath and Sunday observance. He pointed out the following idea: If we live an average lifespan—77 years according to the National Center for Health Statistics (2020), we’ll have lived 674,200 hours. If our time with God and his people is 1 hour a week, then over the course of our lifetime, we’ll have spent 4,004 hours in worship. While that might seem like a lot—it’s nearly 167 full days, it’s only 0.6% of that 77-year-long life spent in worship to God with the people of God. That doesn’t take into account personal devotions and prayer or midweek meetings, but it also doesn’t account for all the times we might miss or skip Sunday worship services because of illness or inclement weather or travel or sports or work or because we don’t feel like going—all of which further decrease that fraction of one percent of our lifetime spent with God’s people in worship.

What’s the big deal about Saturdays, Sundays, Sabbaths, and Lord’s Days? The Israelite/Jewish concept of a day is sunset-sunset. This is why you see in Genesis 1, And there was evening and there was morning, the ______ day. When God spoke the fourth commandment to the Israelites, he told them they were to use the first six days of the week (sunset Saturday-sunset Friday) for work and then on the seventh day (sunset Friday-sunset Saturday) rest. God rooted it in his own rest in creation. Going forward in the Old Testament, there are more instructions against working, making others work, buying things, and even how they did things at home. God was serious about them resting and it being the best thing for them!

Some Christian traditions today still use Saturday as their day of worship because of that, but most have shifted to Sunday. Why? Because it’s the day of the week on which Jesus rose from the dead! We see this modeled in the early church: On the first day of the week, when we gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them… (Acts 20:7). I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day… (Revelation 1:10). The first day of the week is Sunday and because of the resurrection it began to be called “the Lord’s day.” In Acts 15, when the apostles and elders of the early church were meeting to discuss what was necessary for non-Jewish Christians to do, observing Saturday as the Sabbath was not one of those things. None of the other 10 Commandments are named either, though. Yet most Christians would agree there’s no reason to disregard them.

Different Christian people and traditions come down in different places regarding whether Sunday is the new Sabbath and how much of what the Old Testament says about it should apply to us. That word “Sabbath,” means rest. Observance started because of God’s creation model and confirmed in his setting a day apart. Practicing it tells us the world will continue on even if you aren’t doing what you do the other days of the week. You and I can afford to rest, and we need to rest. The focus is not dollars—that we’re missing out on profits we could be making. This is for our good—to worship God, to be refreshed and give others the time to do that, to gather and fellowship with his people. It makes a lot of sense for businesses to be closed on Sunday!

Yet many today see this concept of the weekend (Friday night-Monday morning) as the end of work and time to enjoy life however we want. For some, there’s the attitude: I’ll try to fit God in because that’s what I’m supposed to do. “There’s a Saturday service? Great, I’ll do what I want all day Saturday, clean up, go to church, and then I’ve got my whole Sunday free for whatever I want!” Who does church become about? Where does your rest focus your love? It’s not on God, it’s on you, your interests, your work, and your pleasure. Another attitude that some take full advantage of is the assurance we have been saved by God’s grace and there’s nothing we can do to lose it: “I’ll attend worship, if there’s absolutely nothing else for me to do. If I can’t gain salvation by attending worship, but I know I can have fun getting ready and spending all day at the Church of Lambeau Field or Church of U.S. Bank Stadium with god/Saint Rodgers or god/Saint Jefferson, then I should be there or joining the livestream of that service from my couch.”

That 0.6% I mentioned at the beginning continues to dwindle. In all honesty, I know this sounds harsh and condescending and maybe it seems like I must think I’m perfect. That last part definitely isn’t true and please know I don’t stand in the place to judge you or your faith. I want each of us to think, though, about how we spend our lives and what we dedicate our time to. The act of attending worship services won’t save you—I agree with that, but services and how you spend your Sunday should truly be for your good!

One of the reasons why some churches have a morning service and a different evening service/Bible study is because it brings the focus of the whole Sunday on God and resting in him and with his people. It’s not to show off. It doesn’t earn us additional grace with God. It does allow those who join, though, to grow in fellowship and joy and it will over time change your attitude about the whole day. The mindset of giving God one hour a week now becomes closer to spending 24 hours a week. Now we’re talking 96,096 hours over the course of 77 years, over 14% of our lives spent with God and his people in rest.

If you’re a Christian and you haven’t been to church in a while, rejoin God’s people. Remember that they are there to gather together with you to worship God, to encourage you in your walk with the Lord, to point you to Jesus especially in times of trial and temptation. Remember that Sunday wasn’t created just for you to watch football or catch up on projects that didn’t get done or go shopping. You can find time for necessary things in the other six days. God rested from his work, and he encourages us to rest in him, to trust him enough without our constant work and busyness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf