Skip to main content

Are You Listening?



(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column March 29, 2023)

“‘…I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked…Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me…He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” (Revelation 3:14-22)

I recently completed a sermon series through the letters or sermons to the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3. If it’s been a while since you’ve heard those preached or read them for yourself, there is some weighty material in these. Varying from 4 to 12 verses in length, each begins with a description of Jesus, which is typically followed by a commendation and/or rebuke, a corrective action, and they close with consequences (negative or positive). Two of the letters are entirely positive—those churches had been faithful and were to continue doing what they already were. The other five, though, had a variety of things they needed to change, to stop, or to grow in. Throughout the letters a number of details specific for those cities are given—they resonate with the local setting. But each letter was also to be read by the other churches, and they’ve been passed to us—far from Asia Minor (modern-day western Turkey) at the end of the first century AD.

As you read the passage above, you see the word “I’ repeatedly. Who was talking? Not “John the Revelator,” but Jesus. These are his words! What was going on that he would rebuke so strongly? You can read the letters yourself and find out, but here’s the summary—abandoning their first love (strong on doctrine, light on loving), remaining a home for false teachers and their teachings or heresies, seeming alive but being dead, and—for the Laodiceans—they were a church who had convinced themselves all was great and yet, “‘…You are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked.’”

That’s how Jesus talks here. He says such things with authority, because he knew what went on in those churches. He also knows what goes on in ours. He knows our troubles and our sins. He doesn’t give us a quick glance and just say, “At least you’re trying, that’s what counts.” No, he condemns sin and reminds those claiming to believe and be saved to repent or else.

At the end of every letter, we read some form of that last statement, “‘He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’” That proclamation by Jesus is a message of grace. It’s not a message that says, “I’ve told you things are really bad, here’s what you have to change, but forget all that.” No, it’s a message that says, “For all who repent of their sins and who believe in me, there is no condemnation, there is forgiveness, there is salvation.” The salvation of our God doesn’t only justify; it also sanctifies. We are made holy, made to grow in Jesus. We are given the Holy Spirit, who transforms us from our sinful nature to being more and more in the likeness of Christ.

This is the power of the gospel. The gospel is that Jesus Christ came to save sinners and to change them so that they in gratitude may good fruit. He has shown us his love in his sacrifice. He has told us how he desires us to live throughout his Word. “‘So be zealous and repent.’” If you hear a knock on the door and Jesus is calling to you, he loves you. Open the door, listen to him, and live with him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf