Skip to main content

A Joyful Life and an Imperishable, Undefiled, and Unfading Inheritance

 (Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column September 27, 2023)

…According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time…Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:3-5, 8-9)

Over the last month, I’ve been preaching about rewards. For all who repent of their sins and believe in Jesus Christ, there is the promise of salvation and eternal life (Mark 1:15; Acts 2:37-39; 3:17-21). It’s a reward in the sense that it is not fully received until the completion of this life, it’s only for some, and it is an incredible prize. It’s not a reward, however, that any of us have earned wholly of our work and merit. In fact, it’s 100% the obedience and righteousness of Jesus Christ that he has graciously given to those he has chosen. Every believer, no matter when they come to faith or how long they believe for, no matter the quantity or quality of their life, share the common reward of eternal salvation in Jesus.

There is a second type of reward, though, that Reformed Christians like myself often struggle to talk about. Passages like Psalm 62:12, Matthew 16:27, and Revelation 22:12 all contain the message: [God] will reward each person according to what he has done. Many well-intentioned people fall into the traps of the false teachings of “prosperity gospel.” (If you do enough good or give enough money to the right causes here on earth, God guarantees that you will come into health and wealth in this life.) I don’t deny that God can bless the cheerful giver, but earthly treasures are not where our focus is to be! In fact, the Revelation passage I provided contains the words of Jesus where he says, “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done…” When he returns—his second coming, then he will reward!

As I told the congregation I serve, I don’t know what exactly these differing rewards will be. The Belgic Confession uses words like glory and honor. Jonathan Edwards similarly spoke of happiness, glory, and holiness. …It will be no damp to the happiness of those who have lower degrees of happiness and glory, that there are others advanced in glory above them; for all shall be perfectly happy, every one shall be perfectly satisfied…There will be a perfect harmony in that society…Yet there will be different degrees of both holiness and happiness according to the measure of each one’s capacity…

While I don’t have a complete, all-details-known understanding of the 1 Peter passage above, it assures me and I hope it assures you as well—if you are a believer, whatever God has planned and accomplished for us will be incredible. How many of us look at our lives—our body, our housing, our transportation, our support systems, our finances, etc.—and see perfection? No fat, no aches, no pains, no needed repairs, no messes, no endless chores, no rust, no annoyances, no debts. All those things are blemishes, they show problems, they show something deteriorating, depreciating, or lacking. Heaven isn’t just the things of this world but a little better, a little sweeter, a little less traffic, a little more this or that.  

Eternal life is an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.  Notice, you is plural; Peter speaks of the church of Jesus Christ collectively. We are those who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. God’s got you and me, our past, present, and future. So, how should we live, not just in the age to come, but right now? …Rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. Know, brothers and sisters, that your salvation is secure in him, and live to the praise and glory of God—doing what is good— “…So that [others] may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Stop Killing

 (Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column May 17, 2023) “…And for your lifeblood I will require a reckoning; from every beast I will require it and from man. From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man. Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image…” (Genesis 9:5-6) Four Wisconsin law enforcement officers have been killed in 2023. According to Officer DownMemorial Page as of May 8, there have been 39 Line of Duty deaths in the U.S.A. this year. Not all those have been the result of violence against officers, but more than half have been. I’m writing this just days after St. Croix County Sheriff Deputy Kaitie Leising was killed. On the same day, eight people were killed and seven injured by a shooter at a mall in Allen, Texas. A month ago, another two of Wisconsin’s four officers killed were Chetek Police Officer Emily Breidenbach and Cameron Police Officer Hunter Scheel. A month and

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo