Skip to main content

Just another Sunday service?


Just another Sunday service?...Having grown up in the Christian Reformed Church, I've been around structured liturgy and Sunday bulletins all of my life.  Call to worship, song, God's greeting, song, confession, assurance of pardon, congregational prayer, offering, scripture reading, sermon, prayer, song, benediction, doxology,....oh, and don't forget pre- and postludes.  There's an order and routine to what we do, usually only changing for the occasional baptism, profession of faith, or celebration of the Lord's Supper.  Some outside of this tradition (and maybe a few in) view this ritual as boring.  It might appear to others that there is a set outline in which a pastor or worship leader plug different songs, scriptures, and themes into each week.  Carrying this thought out, people might say it's simple, a task that anyone could do.  I would contend these assumptions are not how it actually is, and I want to offer a reflection that defends the traditional liturgical style.

The liturgies I form reveal the bias of my upbringing: the majority of my songs are from the Psalter Hymnal (currently grey), I like to call upon the creeds and confessions, and I attempt to bring back the call to confession by way of the 10 Commandments.  I began crafting liturgies for a Worship class in college, and now create my own for whenever I preach, generally getting positive feedback, but occasionally I happen upon things like this, "Get with the times! To be honest, you're boring!"  Those were the words from one of our teenage worshipers recently, who spoke his mind while on a retreat (and I graciously accepted his critique).  Is he right, though?  Do the worship services I plan, the elements I utilize, and the sermons I preach need drastic updating?  A proper response coming from someone steeped in Reformed tradition is this: Reformed liturgy is ritualistic, but it's not empty!  In scripture, we find Israel worshiping God because 1)He has called them to do so, and 2)it happens only when they have recognized and been purified of their sins.  If our entrance into corporate worship comes without any type of "call" or "greeting" from God, then we have made a claim as worshipers that we can decide to worship on our own.  If our corporate services move without any recognition of the need to humble ourselves, laying our sins and burdens before the throne of God, and only then receiving his grace, then we have not offered a pleasing aroma to him.

I'll admit it; my liturgies are fairly consistent in order, but that does not mean I just plug and play.  The arrangement of a worship service should be around the Word, which I hold central like any good Calvinist, but what that means exactly has changed recently.   I used to hold this to mean the reading of the Bible for the sermon and the sermon itself were the key parts of the service.  Now, I think they still are key components, but I think a better understanding of the centrality of the Word might be in viewing its penetration throughout the entire worship service.  I tend to utilize my sermon passage and themes as foundational for the overarching themes of the service, the songs, and prayers, but I do not just plug songs in.  In forming a worship service, I have to be in the text, in prayer, and utilizing the gift of YouTube so that we use familiar or at least simple enough tunes so that white, Dutch, rhythm-lacking folk who dominate our congregations can praise God with confidence and excellence.  I'm not saying that contemporary songs cannot be used, but their lyrics and sound should fit and encourage excellence.  To plug and play is to mock what worship can do, but immersed in the Word and prayer it can be molded by the Spirit.

The last point (and probably the one most open to controversy) begs if anyone can formulate worship or is it something reserved for degree-holding college and seminary graduates?  I am willing to stand corrected, but I would daresay that before the 21st century worship planning was mainly considered the responsibility of the pastor.  Around the turn of the century, worship planning committees and certificates and degrees for students of worship started to pop up and take this role.  I will recognize and qualify that not all of these committees and not all of these certified planners have the same responsibilities or purposes.  That being said, the purpose of these is generally one of two things: give the pastor a break or utilize more God-given gifts.  Given the fact that pastors played a large role in bearing the responsibility for so many years, I think the first purpose is invalid.  I'll add also that the pastor knows what is going on in his service, can plan accordingly, and should be experiencing joy in formulating a liturgy.  On the other hand, if the purpose is to utilize more gifts, then by all means have some sort of planning committee (but DO involve the pastor).  This option allows for people to give of their talents in supplying ideas for songs/prayers/other elements, but also to provide diversity in what and who is included.  Truth be told, I don't think worship planning is for anyone and everyone.  I can think back to when I was beginning my discernment process in high school, and my friends and I joked that I would lead services that went between 5-15 minutes.  While I do still appreciate brevity, if our focus is on time and getting out of church, I think we need to work on our priorities.  Not everyone should be involved in corporate worship planning because it is a gift given by God to glorify him, and I truly believe this could be added to or gathered from the list given by Paul in Ephesians 4:10-16.

The rituals we practice each week across Reformed denominations have been built upon tradition, but they also extend from clear practices within the Old and New Testament.  I don't mean to hate on or claim that this is typical of all mega churches and non-denominational congregations, but they are the ones where I most often receive a plastic postcard that welcomes me and gives me a few lines to take notes on when I walk through the door.  Okay, I understand the simplicity and attractiveness communicated through these materials, but how is the worshiper supposed to understand the movement of worship?  How are people, both lifelong believers and new seekers, to understand the practice of singing a few songs and receiving a 15-30 minute teaching lesson?  Worship is so much more, and I hope that as it appears we have moved past the contemporary vs. traditional songs war, a conversation can be had across denominations and traditions about how scripture speaks formatively to our worship services.  Maybe I'm off-base, maybe I'm just saying the same thing that several authors and teachers have written and said, what do you think?

Comments

  1. I like the need for liturgy. I particularly liked your statement that its ritualistic, but not empty. Form without life is a corpse, but life without form is cancer (to quote David Stubbs).

    I'm all for the more traditionally Reformed ordo, but I might want to push you a little bit about who plans the worship. I think you are right that preaching and liturgy should be integrated, but I would hope that worship planning might be a place where a community is formed to worship deeper. The worship planners could grow through the process of planning worship (in conversation with the pastor, of course). I know you aren't eliminating this as a possibility, but I might want to push you to see 'worship planning' as part of the larger process of discipleship within your church.

    Let me know if I'm not reading you correctly. Thanks again for the post. It was thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen, thanks for the comment. I didn't put much thought into the idea of worship planning as an aspect of discipleship or faith formation which could definitely change things. Maybe it would be better to consider this something to be held in a purposeful, educated, and Spirit-driven tension as opposed to an either/or. Worship planning is then recognized as a gift as well as something that one can grow into by truly engaging in what worship is rather than a cut-and-dry you have it or you don't.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf