Skip to main content

To serve or not to serve?

"99 bottles of wine on the wall..." by Let Ideas Complete
To serve alcohol or not to serve alcohol, that is the question... Sunday morning's sermon at the church I attend and intern with focused on John 2:1-11 where Jesus turns water to wine at the wedding in Cana.  Having recently graduated college and currently planning a wedding, it's not hard to imagine where my mind went.  Do I have a wet or dry reception?  If we choose to go wet, how much and what types of alcoholic beverages should there be?  The pastor interrupted my thought by highlighting how wedding festivals in Jesus' time typically lasted days and sometimes a full week.  There my mind went again, That's a lot of alcohol and Jesus added to it!  Some of my friends' voices chime in, Case closed!  Buy the kegs, Dan!

Some of you can probably relate to the internal battle I'm having (before even thinking about cost or insurance for serving alcohol), but let me be clear that's not what the passage is actually about and I did eventually come back to reality to hear the majority of the sermon.  The pastor's title for his sermon on this passage was "Something Old, Something New" (yes, adopting from the wedding-related phrase that ends, "Something borrowed, something blue")  Our pastor drew us to the stone jars mentioned in v. 6, each holding 20-30 gallons, which were there so that cleansing could take place.  It's not just our present age where alcohol leads to dancing and dancing to some close relations and you know the rest; bad and sinful decisions have long existed amidst celebration.  With that in mind, it is the water in those jars for cleansing that Jesus miraculously changes to wine!  No longer can ceremonial cleansing take place; this miracle revealing Christ's glory ushers in "something new".  Jesus in his whole life, ministry, death, resurrection, and ascension brought in a new covenant where the sacrificial system and ceremonial cleansing of the "old" Law are no longer binding.

Amen!  we say, Praise God we don't have to do all that stuff that the Old Testament Jews did, we'd never get anything done!  I think that's often how we take a passage like this; our lives reflect disregard for structure and laws, we just want to work, care for our families, and make our own decisions (we'll try to get to church on Sunday).  Jesus came as our redemption: to atone, to heal, and to reconcile humanity.  I'm not arguing that everyone has to pray the "divine offices" like some monks do, praying every third hour, or that we have to go to church every other day or when/how devotions should be done, but shouldn't we consider the purpose of Christ's life and the greatness of our triune God something to be honored daily and in all situations?  The honor due to our King, our Lord, our Redeemer coincides with where our faith is.  Are we willing to follow and give of ourselves fully to the new kingdom?  To celebrate or not to celebrate, that is the true question.

Comments

  1. I appreciate the thoughtful reflection. I like your shift from thinking about 'alcohol or not' to 'celebration or not'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf