Skip to main content

Are you full?

Candy? Chips? We're Not Sure
Candy? Chips? We're Not Sure (Photo credit: nep)
Are you full...While I was attending college in northwest Iowa, I worked part-time at a Shell gas station.  Day after day, week after week, I saw the same people come in to get the same food at the same time.  For some it was a candy bar, others loved a particular brand of chips, and of course there were the older guys who would sit and talk in the corner, drinking their coffee and eating their donuts.  I can only imagine that many of these people were stopping in on their way home from work to pick up the same food that they would tell their kids 5 minutes later not to eat because it would spoil their dinner.  We can laugh about the dirty little secret that convenient store food is because we recognize it gives a boost at the end of the day, but we know these snacks don't completely satisfy us the way a full meal does.

In John 4, we find the account of Jesus and the Samaritan woman.  After their interaction, she goes back to her town to bring the people to meet Jesus, at which time the disciples urge Jesus to quick grab a bite while no one's around.  His response startles them, "I have food to eat that you know nothing about."  Wait just a second, you mean we went and bought food from dirty Samaritans and Rabbi has food?  Who gave it to him, none of us packed anything. Jesus knew the conversation and thoughts traveling amongst his disciples, so he tells them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work" (v. 34).

"My food is to do..."  Jesus was human, thus experienced hunger for physical nourishment, but he tells us that the food that really matters is when he does the will of his Father.  Hunger is something that most of us don't know much about, and I of all people am not going to go on a rant about having too much food, but I think there's something we can consider.  When most of us refer to hunger it's because our stomachs are growling; it's internal.  Jesus proposes a different outlook though, one that is outward; hunger as exemplified in our passage is a matter of seeing and fulfilling a duty on someone else's behalf.

Jesus statement in the following verses reveal that this hunger isn't just for him though, we're invited to enjoy the harvest with him!  I've been blessed with a calling in which service is easy to see and is currently a big part of my internship as a seminarian, but all of us have opportunities to join the harvest.  Whether you work in hospitals or at home, in public service or as mechanics, as farmers or bankers, all of us have the opportunity to eat more than just sandwiches, yogurt, candy, and chips on a daily basis.  I'm not speaking to a better physical meal, no, we have a feast with a table full of "do"!  When I think of coming together at church, a time to praise God, join with fellow believers, and receive teaching from the Word; that's the "boost" that we need, but then we have the opportunity the rest of the week to see the ripe harvest all around us.  We can see the fields, the shelves, and the platters just waiting to be brought home wherever we may work and serve.  Are you ready to join Jesus in recognizing your food?  Are you ready to do your Father's will to fill the hunger he's given you?  Let's eat! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf