Skip to main content

Just Do It (Right)

Swoosh
Swoosh (Photo credit: monojussi)
Just do it (right)... Nike's slogan hurt me last week.  Caught in the midst of the pre-Thanksgiving break storm of papers, presentations, and readings, the days since my last blog post were piling up.  It was Thursday afternoon, and I finally had a chance to write.  I had brainstormed the idea of "fellowship" earlier in the week, and so I set out on the path to a well-written and thought out post.  I thought it looked good, but when I  later asked my fiance about it, her response was, You didn't say much.  Not used to such critique from her, I brushed it off for a little while, but when I went back and read what I had put out I realized just how right she was.  While I could go back and add to what I said, I need to allow the failure to be real.  I missed the mark, and it won't be the last time.

I wrote last week because I desire for this to be engaged weekly.  While I'm in school I don't have a pulpit to preach from Sunday to Sunday, and this enables to reflect and invite all of you to consider how the Word speaks to you in your vocations.  This cannot mean, however, that I "just do it" knowing that I have a chance at redemption next week.  The routine does not exist for me to slack off when I don't feel like I have time.  For pastors, much like celebrities, politicians, and news reporters, our failures are public.  To speak from the pulpit, to write in the form of a blog, to give a meditation in a daily devotional is to be vulnerable.  Writing and speaking requires passion and articulation, it is expected to be understood in a certain way, it hopes to be agreed with yet challenge.  Unfortunately, requirements are often swerved away from; the path of mediocrity allows for sloppy work like what I did last week.  

Lest I make a mockery of my own blog for 2 weeks in a row, why am I giving a public admission of guilt?  I've mentioned before that I think churchgoers need to interact more with their leaders.  For most of us, the only interaction that we have with our pastor is probably the "thank-you" or "good morning" mentioned with a handshake as we walk out of the sanctuary (and that's if the pastor is in our aisle).  I want to encourage you to invite your pastor into conversations.  If you're wondering how that sermon about Jesus being the Bread of Life affects you as a farmer or why that quote from John Calvin on some doctrine that you can't even pronounce matters for you as a hairdresser, then ask your pastor that.  I can't guarantee he'll have an answer on the spot, but that's the prodding he may need to be reminded a world exists outside of academia and the jargon of commentaries.  Chances are your pastor may even be looking for a way to connect on things they enjoy; he might not know all of the stats for your favorite team or have any idea what flower you should plant with your hostas, but pastors are shockingly human.  Critics aren't always right or just, but their suggestions should remind us Just do it, and do it right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf