Skip to main content

Learning Patience

(Photo cred: Hamed Saber "Tehran Traffic Jam")


(Originally written for Douglas County Publishing: Pastor's Meditation April 4, 2017)

“Let’s go!  Let’s go!  Let’s go!” shouted my not-even-2-years-old daughter from the backseat as we were driving around Holland, Michigan at the start of our vacation last week.  As I heard those words, a smirk came to my face, but I was slightly disappointed.  My disappointment was not towards her, but myself.  She didn’t come up with those commands for the drivers around us that can’t hear her on her own.  No, they came from me.  She had heard me say those words among others throughout our trip when drivers “got in my way” or were moving “too slow.” 
I can tell you my excuses.  I grew in the south suburbs of Chicago, which has its own city driving style.  From the time I got my license, I have felt comfortable to swoop across four lanes of interstate traffic without slowing down or taking one lane at a time.  The speed limit on those highways is the speed you go if you want to cause an accident because you’re the only one driving that slow.  Going past a patrolman at 10mph over the speed limit doesn’t even worry me.  In that world, “Let’s go!” is a polite thing to say to or about other drivers.
But I know better.  I know that just because everyone else does it, doesn’t mean I should.  Being a young dad, it’s one of my first lessons to know just how much my daughter picks up from what she sees and hears.  My impatience—my always wanting to get where I’m supposed to be as fast as possible, always thinking about the finish of one task, but at the same time always thinking ahead to what’s the next objective—my impatience is not just a trait I don’t want to pass along, but it is something Scripture warns about.
A quick search on my Bible computer program brought up many stories of impatience—Sarah getting tired of not having any children and allowing Abram to sleep with her servant Hagar; Esau giving up his birthright to Jacob because of his hunger; the younger son in the Parable of the Prodigal Son not waiting for his inheritance.  If you read through those accounts, you will find that they do not end with a happy conclusion—the impatient people are always left wanting more.
So too was the case with the Israelites in the wilderness.  We read in Numbers 20 of them coming to a place where there was no water.  The people grumbled against Moses, “Would that we had perished when our brothers perished before the Lord!  Why have you brought the assembly of the Lord into this wilderness, that we should die here, both we and our cattle?  And why have you made us come up out of Egypt to bring us to this evil place?  Moses and Aaron met with the Lord in the tent of meeting, and God said, “Take the staff, and assemble the congregation, you and Aaron your brother, and tell the rock before their eyes to yield its water.  So you shall bring water out of the rock for them and give drink to the congregation and their cattle.”
What did Moses do?  Having gathered them together, giving them insight as to what was going to happen, Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock with his staff twice and water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their livestock.  End of story, God blessed them, right?  No, actually.  Numbers 20:12 tells us God’s response, “Because you did not believe in me, to uphold me as holy in the eyes of the people of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land that I have given them.”
Perhaps the people’s impatience had worn on Moses.  But maybe even he was impatient with the trek that God was taking them on.  It was hard, it was a wilderness, it was a journey and a time in which they must trust the Lord.  God’s instruction was for him to hold the staff, show leadership, and by the promise of God, only speak to the rock, telling it to give water.  But he hit it twice—for an impatient person, it’s not enough just to talk, we must do, we must make something happen, and that was disbelieving in God’s holy plan.
Not every situation that we enter and want to move things forward means that we are engaging in an ungodly impatience.  There’s also a difference between competition, in which an individual or team might hurry things, and impatience.  But if our impatience in our normal routines or our activities comes with malice and anger, if it comes with unloving thoughts for another person, if it comes with a disbelief towards God and his ability to rightly and justly execute his plan, then our impatience is likely sinful. 
That’s why I don’t want my daughter to imitate my impatient driving vocabulary.  That’s why I have to examine myself, confess my impatience and intolerance, and ask God to help me actively trust him.  That’s why I have to listen to what God has to tell me and what he has to show me when my focus becomes so much on my tasks and my objectives. 

I’m guessing I’m not alone in being an impatient person.  What areas of your life is God inviting you to slow down, to watch for him, to listen for his will rather than always planning ahead for ourselves?  Let us heed the words of our Lord and Savior, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden,” that sums up my understanding of impatience, “and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf