Skip to main content

"Unanswered" Prayers

(Photo cred: Lisa L "prayer")

(Originally written for Douglas County Publishing: Pastor's Meditation August 2, 2016)

Is any one of you in trouble?  He should pray.  Is anyone happy?  Let him sing songs of praise.  Is any one of you sick?  He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.  If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.  Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective (James 5:13-16).

Growing up, Garth Brooks was one of my favorite singers.  I can remember watching his concerts that were televised, and singing along to his songs when they came on the radio.  “Unanswered Prayers” was one of those. 
The song tells the story of Brooks and his wife going to a hometown football game, and running into his “old high school flame.”  This was the sweetheart who he thought he would be with forever.  He had even prayed to God about her as a young man.  As you know or can probably figure out, Brooks sings of how thankful he was for the future that God has actually laid out, and for giving him the woman that he married.  Reflecting on all this, he finds, “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”     
I recently finished preaching through the book of James.  When we came to the final section, we focused on our ability to pray and be heard by God in all circumstances.  Whether we are in trouble and sick, or whether we are happy and experiencing wonderful blessings, we can pray.  We can do that because we worship, serve, and follow a God who loves us and cares for us.  He, our Creator, Sustainer, and Redeemer, has given us a means to communicate with him. 
And yet what about the “unanswered” prayers?  I differ a bit theologically from Garth Brooks in that I believe God does answer all of our prayers, though his answer may be different from our request.  But when “the prayer offered in faith” does not bring healing or comfort or whatever desired end we petitioned God for, what happened?  When God does not work the miracle we specified, is he acting against his word? 
Christians have long struggled with this.  Mark 9:14-29 and Matthew 17:14-21 tell the account of a man who brought his demon-possessed son to Jesus for healing.  Matthew’s record tells us he had brought him to the disciples before, but they had not been able to heal him.  Now the father pled with Jesus, “If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”  To which Jesus responded, “‘If you can?’  Everything is possible for him who believes.”  The man speaks, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”  And Jesus rebuked and dismissed the demon. 
Later, his disciples ask him, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”  Jesus taught them, “Because you have so little faith.  I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move.  Nothing will be impossible for you.”  Mark gives an even simpler response of Jesus, “This kind can only come out by prayer.”
Is the problem of “unanswered” prayers not so much then with God’s hearing and response, but is it the pray-er’s fault?  Are we, like the disciples, just too weak in faith, or not righteous enough?  This may be true at times.  When we pray, what we do should be an act of faith.  The words we speak out loud or silently to God should not just be wishes that we are unsure about.  Our prayers should be expressions of what we believe God is able to do.  That means we also have to know the power of God, his sovereignty, and that he is able to do far more than you or I.  God can do much more than we might typically expect.
But other times, we must be reminded of the testimonies of the psalmist and the prophet.  “Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him” (Psalm 115:3).  “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.  “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts…so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it (Isaiah 55:8-9, 11).
God has, does, and will continue to work according to his greater plan and purposes.  He will do what brings him glory.  We still ought to pray.  He does answer prayer, and his answers of healing do bring him glory when he chooses to perform them! 

While we can and should trust these words, let’s remember that they are not always the most comforting, the most pastoral for those in the depths of sorrow.  We ought to take care in using them—there may be a better time when some healing has happened.  But what we can hold and share, when it seems that God is not answering our prayers according to our requests, is that God is still God.  He is still with us.  His answer in our present sufferings may be that we would know him to be our great comfort.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf