Skip to main content

The Verdict

(Photo cred: Blogtrepreneur "Legal Gavel")


(Originally written for Douglas County Publishing: Pastor's Meditation November 1, 2016)


If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.  Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.  How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?  For we know him who said, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” and again, “The Lord will judge his people.”  It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.  (Hebrews 10:26-31)

A couple of weeks ago, I was called to the courthouse for jury duty.  Sitting there with a room full of other people, I knew that I might be one of the thirteen jurors selected for the trial.  That possibility wasn’t really how I planned or hoped to spend my week, but sure enough, I was picked.
I’ve read plenty of books, and watched tons of shows and movies with jury trials, but I have never experienced it personally.  Once we were selected, the judge admonished us to listen to the facts of the case, and not be influenced by outside opinions.  We listened to the arguments of the plaintiffs and the defendants.  We heard the statements and cross-examination of witnesses that had a stake in the case, or who offered expert opinions.  We, the jurors, were instructed throughout the trial to not come to a conclusion until the case was given to us for deliberation.
When you think about all that goes into a single jury trial, it’s a significant experience.  The parties involved truly believe their side is right and to be favored.  The process of bringing everything before a judge and jury is taxing in terms of time, energy, emotions, and certainly money.  The decision that is reached should not come flippantly, but requires careful deliberation of everything that has been heard and documented.  The system itself is in place to seek justice.  In terms of the case we heard, the verdict, while we believe to be just, still did not feel easy to give because of the effect that it has on the lives of real people. 
As I went through the process, though, the image of God as a judge was not far from my mind.  It became all the more vivid the more I thought about it.  He as the one in the place of keeping order, procedure, and determining what is right.  Us, each and every man, woman, boy, and girl, sitting in the defendant seat with all of our sins.  God in his perfection and intentions for us is also likely who is in the plaintiff’s seat bringing a just case against us.  A few of the witnesses called to testify might try to excuse us by speaking to our relatively good character, but many more can speak to the wrongs we have done in public or in private.  The case is easy, and the deliberations are short.  The verdict in the case of (insert your name here) vs. God is guilty.    
            But if we pick the passage up a few verses later, we read this: You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.  For in just a very little while, “He who is coming will come and will not delay.  But my righteous one will live by faith.  And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him.”  But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.  (Hebrews 10:36-39) 
            “We are…those who believe and are saved.”  The verdict is guilty, and yet we are saved?  This is the good news.  This is what Jesus offers to all who believe.  Yes, every single one of us justly and rightly deserves death and condemnation and hell, for our sins.  Yet if we have received the love of Jesus Christ by grace through faith, he shows us mercy that delivers us from the punishment we deserve! 
            Each of us, if we are honest with ourselves, knows we are guilty.  We know we have wronged someone, and if we believe a God exists, I’m sure the majority of us would say we have wronged him even more.  Those sins, whether we consider them great or small compared to the sins of others, are enough to convict you and me of being sinners.  Yet God sent us a Savior, Jesus Christ, and he steps up in our case and explains, “I have taken ownership of (your name here)’s crimes and served their sentence.  Let them go free and forgiven.” 

            God does just that.  Not because we’re not that bad.  Not because our sins aren’t a big deal.  But because Jesus loves us, because he redeems us, because he gives us eternal life.  This is why Jesus is the best news for anyone who turns to him!  He’s not just a good friend or teacher of morals, but when we were dead in our transgressions, deserving of his wrath, “Because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ” (Ephesians 2:4-5).  Because of Jesus, it is as if we are not guilty, and for that, we are sentenced to eternal life with God!  Turn to him and know his love today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Things Never Change

(Originally written for The Baldwin Bulletin: Pastor's Column July 5, 2023) Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) When I was a kid, I played baseball, basketball, and soccer in my hometown’s rec league. If I wanted to play, my parents would sign me up. If I decided I didn’t like the sport or didn’t want to play anymore, they made me finish the season (except for my final year of Little League baseball when I got sick of riding the bench and completely lost interest). Fast forward to this summer and my wife and I enrolled our two oldest children in softball and t-ball for their first summer team sports. My interest in baseball has continued as a fan of the White Sox. My kids have shown interest in the sport over the last year, helped by having friends who are playing. We were gone during the first week of practices, so I wanted to practice some with them at home before their first nights and when we have time as

I'm talking about practice!

Practice...If you've had any interest in basketball or sports media in the last 10 years, then you probably remember Allen Iverson's press conference  rant  from 2002 on this topic.  You mention the word around me, and to this day A.I.'s voice pops into my head mocking the reporters, "We're talking about practice!"  This topic is our focus this week, coming from the theme presented at the young peoples' retreat I was on this weekend and re-iterated today in a conversation with a friend and her dad. When we think about the Christian life, there are certain principles and practices that are meant to be included.   Matthew 25:31-40 teaches believers metaphorically about their duties.  The sheep who inherit the kingdom of heaven are those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and in prison.  In John 3:21 , we find Jesus teaching that those who do what is true come to the light so that their wo

Trouble at the Dinner Table

Note: While the intent of this blog is mainly to focus on how Sunday worship and preaching informs the week, I may occasionally take the liberty of focusing on worship practice and how the week meets Sunday. In this second post of this unofficial series on Sunday worship practice, I want to direct our attention to what it means to be a confessional church and some of the things that I'm wrestling with because of that.  As I mentioned last week, I have grown up in the Christian Reformed Church (CRC), a denomination which officially affirms and utilizes three ecumenical creeds and three Reformed confessions .  We recognize that these six confessions do not have the same inspiration or authority as Scripture, but we affirm that they fully agree with the Word of the Lord.  The new Covenant for Officebearers (a document signed by all ministers, elders, and deacons who hold office in the CRC), which was passed by Synod (our governing body) this summer, goes on to say, These conf